In order to lease from a current resident, students must complete the process of re-leasing. Re-leasing is the official process of transferring financial responsibility of an SCC lease to another eligible student (a re-lessor) prior to the lease end date.  Any student who studies abroad, withdraws from the University, or needs to leave due to financial constraints must use this process.


Once a resident re-leases their apartment, they forfeit all rights and responsibilities to that space. This is a formal process completed through the Leasing Office; therefore, for a re-lease to be legal, it must be completed through the Leasing Office. Please see below for more information about re-leasing.

Re-Leasing Information


On occasion students inquire about the difference between “Subletting” and “Re-leasing” their apartment. Hopefully this information will shed light on the difference between the two and why we only do Re-leasing at South Campus Commons.

Subletting means that you being allowed by someone to use their apartment that they are renting for a period of time in return for payment. When subletting the lease holder is still financially responsible for the apartment and any damages that might occur even though someone else is living there. Please review the section on “Illegal Re-leasing” for more information on this process. Subletting is not permitted at South Campus Commons.

Re-leasing is the official process of transferring financial responsibility for a South Campus Commons lease to another eligible student prior to the lease end date in July.  Any students who study abroad, graduate, withdraw from the University, or need to leave due to financial constraints, must use this process.   Once and apartment is re-leased, the lease is formally ended for the original resident, which means that they will no longer have access to that space and community services and they are released from the financial obligation.  The re-lessor is then fully financially responsible and receives full rights of access to the space and corresponding services.

This formal process, which is completed through the Leasing Office, is necessary in order to protect the original leaseholder and the incoming resident. Therefore, the process outlined below must be followed for a re-lease to occur.

The Process

The following information is designed to help you navigate the re-leasing process, through which you can receive transfer of a lease from a current resident.

  • Step 1: Lease Holder finds a Re-lessor (an eligible student who is interested in taking over your lease). It is the Lease Holder’s exclusive responsibility to find a Re-lessor.
  • Step 2: The Re-lessor must complete a Commons/Courtyards Leasing Application in order to be able to complete the Commons/Courtyards Re-leasing Form.
  • Step 3: The Lease Holder and Re-lessor must each submit the Commons/Courtyards Releasing Form in the StarRez Portal.
    • After the re-lessor is approved, the Lease Holder will be prompted to complete their leasing paperwork online.
    • Once the Lease Holder has completed their portion of the re-lease agreement, the re-lessor will be contacted by the leasing office to complete their Lease, Guarantor Form, Re-Lease Agreement, and Confirmation page.  This must be submitted within 48 hours.
  • The Lease Holder retains financial responsibility and rights to the space until the re-lessor has completed the process.  If the re-lessor does not complete their paperwork by the deadline, rights and responsibilities for the space remain with the original lease holder and the process will need to be restarted.
Connecting Lease Holders and Re-Lessors
  • The OCH Database: A Resident Life resource that The Courtyards and South Campus Commons Lease Holders can use to post their vacancy and potential Re-lessors can use to search for vacancies.
  • Maryland Community Housing Facebook group: A housing resource that requires an email address to access.
  • The Courtyards and South Campus Commons Wait list: As a Re-lessor, you can join The Courtyards and South Campus Commons wait list by completing a Common/Courtyards Leasing application. Lease Holders can request this list so that they can reach out to interested students all at once.
  • You are also encouraged to use word of mouth! Ask your friends if they know of anyone looking to leave The Courtyards or South Campus Commons or if they know anyone who wants to move in to South Campus Commons or The Courtyards.

A re-lessor’s eligibility will be determined after the Lease Holder and Re-lessor have completed the Releasing Form. Re-leasing eligibility is determined by the University of Maryland’s Department of Resident Life and generally includes the following:

  • Students must be in good academic, financial, & judicial standing with the University to be eligible to sign a lease.
  • Re-lessor must be the same gender as the lease holder (unless the lease holder is in a pre-designated mixed-gender apartment)
  • Fall and Spring Re-lessors must be undergraduate students, have been in college for at least one semester (freshmen are NOT eligible to re-lease in their first semester), and registered full-time at the University of Maryland, College Park.
  • Summer re-lessors may be undergraduate students who are affiliated with the University of Maryland College Park.


Who is Eligible? Fall Re-leasing Spring Re-leasing Summer Re-leasing
Fall First Semester Freshman at UMD N Y Y
Spring First Semester Freshman at UMD N/A N Y
UMCP Undergrad enrolled for Fall Y Y Y
UMCP Undergrad who was enrolled in the Spring N Y Y
UMCP Undergrad Enrolled only in the Summer N N Y
Student returning from Study Abroad Y Y Y
Transfer Student (must have Confirmed Enrollment for Semester in which they want to re-lease) Y Y Y
Non-UMD student who wants to live in friend’s apartment while friend is gone and isn’t affiliated with UMCP N N N

* needs documentation if not a UMD student

For more specific questions about renewal eligibility, please email the Manager for Housing Partnerships with the Department of Resident Life, at

  • Lease Holders and Re-lessors can submit the Commons/Courtyards Re-Leasing Request Form anytime, but re-leasing appointments are only available between the 4th and the 20th of each month (except August, February, and March).
  • Failure to complete your appointment by the 20th of the month will result in you retaining financial responsibility for the following month.
    Re-lessor approvals can take 2-4 business days to process after the both the Lease Holder and Re-lessor complete their Commons/Courtyards Re-leasing Forms. The re-lessor will not be evaluated for eligibility until both parties have completed their Re-leasing Forms.
Appointment Requirements
  • Current Resident:
      • Your $100 lease transfer fee. This must be paid in certified funds*. Personal checks and cash are NOT accepted.
      • You must have a zero balance.
      • If your transfer fee and balance are not paid at least 2 business days prior to your leasing appointment, they must be paid at the appointment in certified funds.
      • Installment payments are due on the first of each month. The person in possession of the lease on the 1st of the month is responsible for the installment payment. Installments are not prorated and Capstone will not issue refunds for installments owed prior to the lease transfer. Any exchange of money relating to partial installment payments or personal refunds is solely between the leaseholder and the re-lessor.

    *Certified Funds are available from a teller at your financial institution in the form of a cashier’s check. Money orders are available at 7-Eleven, CVS, The United States Post Office, Giant, and other retail locations.


    New Resident:
    • $25 application fee. Check or money order made payable to “The Courtyards” or “South Campus Commons.”
    • $300 lease reservation (applied toward first month’s installment payment). Check or money order made payable to “The Courtyards” or “South Campus Commons.”
    • Social Security Number. While your card is not required, you must be able to provide your SSN.
    • Completed Guarantor Form
Illegal Re-Leasing

Illegally re-leasing a South Campus Commons apartment to an unapproved individual is strictly prohibited.  If you are found to be illegally re-leasing your apartment, the leaseholder and the illegal re-lessor may be referred to the University of Maryland judicial process according to the Rights and Responsibilities handbook, Section B, 26.  As the illegal re-lessor, you will be required to move out of the apartment immediately or go to the Leasing Office sign a lease at South Campus Commons.

Failure to check in through the Landlord is subject to a $200 administrative charge.  Failure to check in or out at a designated Service Desk is also subject to a $100 improper check in/out fee. Furthermore, current residents who do not properly check their keys into a Commons staff member at the Service Desk are subject to $150 core replacement fee for the apartment lock AND a $150 core replacement fee for the bedroom lock AND a $35 replacement fee for the mailbox key. Only legal leaseholders will be permitted to sign out the replacement keys in such circumstances.

To avoid incurring these charges and judicial sanctions, and to preserve the security of our community, it is imperative that all residents use the re-leasing process outlined here.

How Can We Help?   Contact Us