Rates By Floor Plan
|Apartment Type||Twelve Installments||Total Cost|
|4 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom||$1,016||$12,192|
|3 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom||$1,060||$12,720|
|2 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom||$1,162||$13,944|
|1 Bedroom/ 1 Bathroom||$1,396||$16,752|
*Twelve installments per person for a standard term of August 20, 2023 to July 27, 2024.
|Apartment Type||Twelve Installments||Total Cost|
|4 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom||$986||$11,832|
|3 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom||$1,030||$12,360|
|2 Bedroom/ 2 Bathroom||$1,128||$13,536|
|1 Bedroom/ 1 Bathroom||$1,354||$16,248|
*Twelve installments per person for a standard term of August 21, 2022 to July 28, 2023.
Payment Options and Information
Paying By Check Or Money Order
Rental payments can be paid at the Management Office in Building 1, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Payments can also be placed in one of the rent drop boxes located near each 24-hour Service Desk (Buildings 1, 3 and 6) or the Management Office in Building 1, Suite 1101.
Rental payments can be mailed to the address below. Late fees are incurred for any payments received after the tenth of the month.
South Campus Commons
4250 Lehigh Rd., Suite 1101
College Park, MD 20740
Non-sufficient Funds: If we receive a returned check for non-sufficient funds (NSF) the resident is required to repay the amount of the check and all additional charges within forty-eight hours of notification. All returned checks are charged a twenty-five dollar ($25.00) returned check fee in addition to the five percent (5%) late charge, if this results in repayment being received after the tenth of the month. After two (2) NSF checks, we will no longer accept personal checks from your student; only certified checks or money orders will be accepted.
Paying Electronically on the portal
If paying rent electronically, residents are encouraged to consider setting up a recurring payment through the Resident Portal. The recurring payment option is very easy to set up and manage.
Like one-time electronic payments, the use a debit/credit card (transaction fees apply) or a bank draft are all acceptable methods of payment. The recurring payment option allows your student to choose the payment method, payment amount, and payment frequency. Residents may edit their payment settings at any time to change them or to stop using the recurring option.
*Please note, recurring payments do not carry over between lease years. Recurring payments must be rescheduled each August.
There is a ten (10) day grace period before a late fee is charged to the account.
If residents are unable to make the minimum rental installment payment, they should contact an Account Coordinator for assistance.
Please remember that the Lease is a legally binding contract and the resident is responsible for the total base rent.
The resident portal is a free online service built to assist students in managing their account with South Campus Commons. In order to make an online payment, they will need to register.
Electronic payments outside of the portal
Many financial institutions provide options for submitting your payment electronically through their portal. Please be aware that payments set up via any means other than the resident portal are not transmitted electronically. Financial institutions will mail the check to the property address. These payments are subject to mail delays and late fees will not be waived for payments received after the expiration of the grace period on the tenth of the month.
Payment policies and questions
The following Rent Collection Policy is incorporated by reference and made a part to the Lease between Landlord and Tenant.
1. All Installments of Base Rent are due and payable as set forth by the Lease on or before the first (1st) day of each month by cashier’s check, certified check, personal check, credit card, electronic funds transfer, or money order. Current residents ONLY are eligible to use credit card and electronic funds transfer through the online Resident Portal. Credit card payments are currently accepted with a 2.5% transaction fee. No bills, invoices or statements will be sent.
2. It is the payee’s sole responsibility to ensure that all electronic payments are submitted without error and sufficient funds are available by the 10th of each month by 5:00 p.m. or else a late fee will be assessed to Tenant’s account.
3. Installment payments for South Campus Commons shall be made payable to “South Campus Commons” and mailed to South Campus Commons, 4250 Lehigh Rd., Suite 1101 College Park, MD 20740 in time to be received by the 10th of the month or paid at the management office of the same address Monday through Friday during business hours. Rent payment drop boxes are available in SCC Building 1, Building 3 and Building 6 near the Service Desks.
4. Installments must be paid in full. Partial payments, incomplete (lacking amount, signature, Tenant’s first and last name, and Tenant’s unit) checks and postdated checks are not acceptable, and may be mailed back to the address of record for the Tenant. If such payment is submitted, the Tenant is responsible for any resultant late fees, NSF fees, and bank fees that may result. Please write your full name and the complete address of your Premises in the memo section of the check.
5. There will be a five percent (5%) late fee charged to Tenant’s rental account if any Monthly Installments of Base Rent is paid AFTER the tenth (10th) day of the month by 5:00 p.m. Late charges are considered to be and are collectable as additional rent. Late fees will apply despite weekends or holidays during which the management office is closed.
6. If any Installment of Base Rent is not paid in full by the first (1st) day of the month at 5:00 p.m., legal action may be taken to collect same and/or to recover possession of the Premises. The cost for all such actions will be charged to the Tenant’s account. Personal checks will not be accepted for payment once legal action has been filed. In such event, the balance must be paid by cashier’s check, certified check or money order only.
7. Checks will only be submitted to the issuing bank once for payment. If Tenant’s bank returns a check for non-sufficient funds (NSF), Tenant is required to repay the amount of the check and all additional charges immediately upon notification. All returned checks are charged a twenty-five dollar ($25.00) returned check fee, in addition to the five percent (5%) late charge (if repayment is received after the 10th day of the month). After two (2) NSF checks, personal checks may no longer be accepted from Tenant; only cashier’s checks, certified checks or money orders will be accepted.
8. Any rent not paid when due will be reasonable grounds for termination and/or non-renewal of lease.
9. Any balance left unpaid for thirty (30) days following the lease expiration date may be submitted to a collection agency. In such event, a collection expense of thirty (30) percent of the total amount remaining due will be added to the original balance.
Frequenty asked questions
- I’m not sure which set of numbers are for my bank account and which are the routing number? Please see the sample check below.
- Can I postdate a check? All checks should be dated the day you turn it in or write it. We will not hold checks. Checks that are post dated or not filled out correctly, will be mailed back to the address on the check.
- What does my $300 lease reservation go towards? The lease reservation fee goes towards your first installment. You can deduct $300.00 from your first installment payment.
- When do I get my security deposit back? We do not collect security deposits. The lease reservation payment is not a security deposit.
- Why am I not able to log in as a prospect to submit my reservation payment? You should be using the phone number listed in StarRez with no spaces or dashes. You also need to be using the umd.edu email address.
- I don’t see my electronic payment on my account. If you make a payment after 4pm on a Friday or it’s a holiday, you will not see your payment post until the next business day. Do not make an additional payment. *Please note, payments submitted electronically through a financial institution’s website (not the resident portal) are not transmitted electronically. These payments are mailed to the property and are subject to typical mailing delays. Late fees are assessed based on the date the payment is received.
- Can I use a 529 plan to pay for housing? You will need to reach out directly to your 529 institution to see if payments can be made to South Campus Commons. If yes, auto payments can be set up directly by your institution, they will need the installment amount. Your full name and apartment number, including the letter, should be stated in the memo section of the check. All payments should be made payable to ‘South Campus Commons’ and mailed to our mailing address.
- Can I pay in advance? Yes, payments can be made in advance. Any advance payment will be applied to an account and will be in parenthesis () as a credit. On the first of every month, the installment will be deducted until the credit has been used up.
- I made a payment, but it shows a negative balance. When making a payment prior to the first of the month it will show as a credit if there was not a previous past due amount. Credits are stated in parenthesis () which may look like a negative balance. Any past due amount is stated without.
- I have an automatic payment set up, will making a one-time payment void the auto pay for that month? No, if you choose to make a one-time payment, you will need to cancel any auto pay prior to the set draft date to avoid double payment.
- Why was I charged twice? Installments are only applied once to an account, submitting multiple transactions may lead to multiple payments. There may be a delay in payment posting if it is made after business hours or on holidays. Please allow processing time for the transaction to post to your resident portal.
- Because I paid twice, can I get a refund? Yes, however, it is recommended that the credit remain on the account to cover the next installment unless it is the end of your lease contract, and you are moving out. Refunds are in the form of a check and may take up to eight (8) weeks to be received.
The Landlord requires, as a condition of this lease, a binding Continuing Parental or Sponsor Guaranty (the “Guaranty”), which Guaranty constitutes inducement for the granting of this Lease by Landlord. Landlord reserves the right to cancel this Lease in the event such Guaranty is not fully completed and submitted to the leasing staff at the time of application. The Tenant understands that the Guaranty must be obtained directly from the parent or sponsor and that landlord reserves all rights both civil and criminal, for any false execution or forgery of the Guaranty. The Tenant and Guarantor acknowledge that this Lease is for an essential necessity of the Tenant, and that The Tenant and Guarantor shall be fully bound by all of the terms and conditions hereof irrespective of The Tenant’s age or legal status. The execution of the Guaranty constitutes an additional insurance to Landlord of the performance of the covenants of this lease and shall not be construed as a release of The Tenant’s responsibilities and obligations hereunder. Tenants may not include themselves or another UMD student as a Guarantor for the lease. Parents are not automatically considered a Guarantor for the lease, and therefor do not share the same right of access to information for said lease if they are not a Guarantor. Only financial information and information concerning damages will be shared with Guarantor without prior tenant approval.