Whether residents are transferring from one apartment to another or completely moving out of SCC, the information included on this page is useful. W
Please note, we do not forward received mail after residents have moved out. To have mail forwarded, please visit the USPS website.
In addition to the checklist below, we have included a link to our Move-Out Newsletter and a checklist of damage charges to answer some of the frequently asked questions.
Successful Move-Out Checklist
The following guidelines should be followed to ensure a successful move out.
- Remove all personal belongings
- Remove tacks, nails, shelves, etc. in the walls; repair damages larger than tack holes (Do not use toothpaste to repair holes in walls!)
- Wipe down all furniture with a soft cloth to remove all dust
- Vacuum carpet, inside closets and under all furniture
- Clean all mirrors
- Wipe down all sinks and bathroom areas; be sure there is no mildew build up
- Clean the tubs and showers and remove the soap scum
- Clean bathroom sinks and toilets
- Clean all tile floors
- Dust all blinds, window sills and baseboards
- Empty all cabinets and wipe them out
- Clean the refrigerator
- Wipe off the stove top, scrub the drip pans and clean the oven
- Clean the inside and outside of the microwave
- Put dishwasher detergent in the dishwasher and run it empty, to clean it
- Empty the lint trap in the dryer and wipe off the washer surface
- Remove any signs or stickers from doors and windows
- Officially check out with the South Campus Commons staff either by appointment with the Management Office or by Express Check Out at the Service Desk
- Turn in your keys
- Leave a forwarding address to be reached in case of a rent refund or balance due
- Normal wear and tear does not include:
- Dirty carpets, counters, appliances, or bathroom
- Dirty, torn, stained, or broken furniture
- Dirty or stained kitchen tile
- Marks on walls or holes in the wall
- Missing furniture or contents
- Torn or broken blind slats
For clarification as to whether something is normal wear and tear, contact the Maintenance Office at 301.226.2749.
To claim responsibility for damages, please complete the Damage Claim Form so we may bill accordingly.
Move Out-During the Academic Year
During the academic year, move-out is handled through the Service Desks. Service Desks are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist the residents. To be present for the move-out inspection of the apartment, residents must contact the Management Office at 301.314.2499 to schedule an appointment. All belongings must be out of the apartment and the resident must be ready to leave for good by the time of the appointment. The departing resident will be held responsible for cleanliness and damage in their bedroom. All residents of the apartment share responsibility for any damage in the common areas. In reference to the bathroom, if it is shared, it will be checked for only damage. If not, we will check for both cleanliness and damage.